Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) treatment has been described as ‘rewiring’ the brain for those with depression.
This is a new approach to treating very difficult mental health conditions and offers hope to millions whose condition is not improved by medication or therapy.
Depression is one of the most common mental health conditions. It is understood to affect over 350 million people worldwide and has devastating consequences on the patient’s quality of life.
Patients who visit the doctor will usually be prescribed antidepressants or talking therapies (or both), but these are not always effective; and medication can have unpleasant side-effects.
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation is an alternative approach which some doctors have described as effectively seeking to ‘rewire’ the brain by changing how brain circuits are arranged.
The treatment uses magnetic pulses. Andrew Leuchter, director of the Semel Institute’s TMS Clinical and Research Service at the University of California, explains:
“By pulsing it with energy repeatedly, we’re changing the way that area works, but also changing the way the whole brain network works.”
Patients have typically tried everything else before looking at TMS. Where this approach works, results can be life-changing.
Smart TMS have a success rate of over 70%. Nearly half of those require no further treatment at all while the others maintain the benefit through top-up treatment.
Dublin TMS Clinic
Smart TMS opened their RTMS Dublin Clinic in January 2018. The clinic offers TMS treatments for a range of conditions, including:
- rTMS Treatment for Depression
- rTMS Treatment for Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- rTMS Treatment for Perinatal Depression (PND)
- rTMS Treatment for Generalised Anxiety Disorder
- TMS Treatment for OCD – Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- PTSD – Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- TMS Treatment for Alcohol Dependence/Alcoholism
- rTMS Treatment for Cocaine Addiction
- rTMS Treatment for Gambling Addiction
- rTMS Treatment for Methamphetamine Addiction
- TMS Treatment for Nicotine Addiction/Smoking
Smart TMS’s Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation treatment clinic in Dublin is located at:
28/32 Pembroke Street Upper,
For any queries or to book an appointment, please contact us:
Tel: (01) 254 2514