Smart TMS has shared the story of a patient whose experience of rTMS treatment brought his smile back after a 24 year battle with PTSD, depression and anxiety.
Dr Leigh Neal, Medical Director and Consultant in Psychiatry & Neuromodulation at Smart TMS, explained that there is increasing evidence of the potential for treating PTSD with Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, a therapy with well-established evidence for treating depression.
In order to protect the patient’s identity, he will be referred to as Gary.
Dr Leigh Neal MD FRCPsych explained:
“Gary suffers with a condition that is recognized by many psychiatrists as complex PTSD.
“It is difficult to treat conventionally with psychological interventions and medication and many patients will remain chronically disabled by this condition for the majority of their lives.
“It is well established that rTMS is effective for depression and there is also now increasing evidence that it can help patients with PTSD. However, I was astonished to see the remarkable global recovery in Gary’s symptoms over the course of 30 sessions, such that he is now in full remission.
“This will require further research to properly establish its effectiveness in complex PTSD, but following my experience treating Gary, I would now have no hesitation in recommending rTMS to any patient with complex PTSD who has exhausted all the conventional recommended forms of psychiatric and psychological treatment.
“We now intend to keep Gary well with maintenance treatment once a month.”
TMS Case Study – Treatment for PTSD
- Gary first suffered Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, depression and anxiety following sexual abuse aged 17. Now aged 41, he struggled with the conditions for over 20 years
- In his late teens, Gary tried marijuana to cope with his conditions. He also abused ecstasy, amphetamines, cocaine and alcohol
- He managed to stop drugs and excessive alcohol consumption, but mental health continued to be a struggle
- Any peace and normality was fragile and he experienced episodes of paranoia, especially in response to stress or difficult circumstances
- PTSD caused issues at work, forgetfulness, withdrawing from family/friends and even personal hygiene problems. He says he
“…simply didn’t feel positive about life”
TMS Treatment Results
- Gary started to feel more positive after only three days of TMS treatment. He says he felt
“…a smile returning to his face in place of the sadness he’d experienced for so long”
- Recovery continued and for the first time in 24 years, Gary now feels significantly better – more positive and at peace
- He has returned to hobbies outdoors and playing guitar
- He describes the feeling as his
“…brain feels alive!”
About TMS Treatment
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Therapy at Smart TMS
Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) is a new approach to treating very difficult mental health conditions and offers hope to millions whose condition is not improved by medication or therapy.
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation is an innovative treatment which uses magnetic pulses to work directly on the areas of the brain affected by the mental health condition being treated. This could be depression, addiction, PTSD, OCD or anxiety.
Patients have typically spent years on medication and also tried other therapies such as counselling and/or CBT before finding out about TMS, which offers a completely different approach to treatment.
More Information on TMS Treatment
Smart TMS’s new Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation treatment clinic will be located at:
28/32 Pembroke Street Upper,
For any queries or to book an appointment, please contact us:
Tel: (01) 254 2514